MilesAndMore
HOTLINE: 06024 / 6718 0 (MO-FR 9:00-18:00)
Foreign countries: +49 6024 6718 0
//www.kreuzfahrten.de/data/pictures/user/i2-5969.jpg

List of ports

Å i Lofoten or shortly Å, whose name means something like creek is a place on the east side of the Lofoten island of Moskenesøy with about 100 residents. Accessible is Å at sea by a ferry from Moskenes to Bodø and overland via Sørvågenvia the Kong Olafvs veg opened in 1992.
The greatest part of the town and also the freshwater lake belong to the family of Johan B. Larsen and their descendants.
Aalborg is a seaport in the region Nordjylland. It is the fourth largest city of the country and capital of the Nordjylland region.
The first settlements in the present city area are more than 1000 years old. At Lindholm Høje, a hill north of the city, ritual burials took place at that time.
The first record of of Aalborg dated back to the year 1040.
Aarhus, the city with nearly 300,000 inhabitants, is located on the east coast of the Danish mainland. Århus has a university and a major seaport. Historically, the town was founded as a Viking settlement and was episcopal see in the early Middle Ages. From the Middle Ages also originate some important attractions of the city. In the 16th century Århus experienced the upswing as a commercial and port city.
Aasiaat is located on an island in the southern part of Disko Bay, respectively in an enchanting archipelago, which is called "the land of a thousand islands". Many conservation islands offer the opportunity to observe birds or whales, which were also the reason for the founding of Aasiaat mid-18th century.
Aasiaat (Danish .: Egedesminde) was founded in 1759 by Niels Egede, the son of the famous Christian missionary Hans Egede. That happened because they wanted to have the control of the active trade between European whalers and the people of Greenland. About 3,000 people live in Aasiaat, 200 of them in the villages of Akunaaq and Kitsissuarsuit. To Aasiaat you can get from other places of the Disko Bay and from Kangerlussuaq weekly by plane or helicopter, depending on the season also byship.
Aberdeen is located at the end of the rivers Dee and Don. The harbour of Aberdeen is an important oversee port and the largest fishing port in scotland. The city beach with a length of 3 kilometres is supposed to be the longest in europe.
Abidjan "pearl by the lagoon". Cosmopolitan metropolis: most modern city in western Africa.
Abraao is the capital of the island of Ilha Grande.
Fantastic beaches, mountains, waterfalls and rainforests. Trekking, kayaking, diving, Ilha Grande presents us with an overwhelming nature in the middle of the Atlantic rainforest.
The Marine National Park Abrolhos is located near the city of Caravelas, in the southern part of the Bahian state 70km from the coast. The eponymous archipelago, which consists of small volcanic islands, is one of the best diving sites in Brazil. Crystal clear, pleasantly warm water allows for excellent visibility. Undewater flora and fauna here are very varied, especially the impressive coral formations and the many shipwrecks that are found here in the surroundings.
Abu Dhabi with its 64,750 kilometres, is the largest sheikhdom of the United Arabian Emirates. It has got around 2 million residents. Behind the flat coast, there is a wide stripe of sandy desert. In the east, the emirate reaches to the Oman mountains, only the coastal part is populated. The first 7-star-hotel has opened its doors here. The capital Abu Dhabi is located on an island of the persian golf, but is connected with the main land and its 605,000 residents through two bridges. Abu Dhabi features one of the largest artificial constructed harbours (Jebel Ali) in the world. Tower high skyscrapers and glimmering glass facades can be seen everywhere, but the spacious, widespread parks and gardens confirm the excellent reputation of Abu Dhabi, to be one of the greenest cities of the region. Abu Dhabi is a picturesque city, beautiful and inviting.
Abu Simbel is a small city, which does not even give the impression to be a centre of mass tourism. The streets are dozy, a local café is seen, a police station, but not even the usual and unevoidable souvenir shops. Travelers who come to Abu Simbel, step into the temple complex on a small headland within the Nasser Lake, but not into the so isolated village.
Abwinden is a district of the 3,900-resident community Luftenberg on the Danube, located in the Upper Austrian district Perg. Thanks to the strategic location of the area, the land of today's Abwinden has already been inhabited in the Bronze Age.
Abydos is an ancient town near Sohag on the western bank of the Nile 160 km north of Luxor.
In ancient times the place was attributed to the 8 Upper Egyptian Ta-wer-Gau and was one of the most important cemeteries in the country.
Most important seaport of the country. The bulk of the free port was built 50 years ago.
If you talk about the "place of the thick reed", probably only the Náhuatl-Indians know, that the world famous bathing resort of Mexico, Acapulco is meant. The nature port, which had been completed as the most important harbour of the pacific in 1530 by the spaniard Hernán Cortés, was the starting point for expeditions to the South Sea and Asia. The environment of Acapulco has a lot to offer. Mexico City is connected through a highway with Acapulco. Mexico City has probably more than 30 million residents and thus is the largest city in the world.
The region around Achtuba by the Wolga is popular for its beauty and pure air, as well as favoured by hunters for the richness of fish and game. Through the whole year comfortable recreation homes are open there, which are gladly visited by Russians as well as by foreigners.
Ad-Dakhla, with its 85,000 inhabitants is the southernmost Moroccan town in the Western Sahara. Founded in the late 19th century as a Spanish trading posts, the harbor served until the 1930s also as a small military post. In 1979 the city finally came under Moroccan administration.
Adabya, located in Egypt on the Suez Canal, is a rather industrially dominated harbor. However, for the visitor here at any time there is a large number of taxis available. Explore therefore without major problems the local area.
With only 40 inhabitants Adamstown on the Pitcairn Island the world's smallest main town. It was named after John Adams, one of the famous Bounty mutineers. Adamstown was founded from a settlement of these mutineers who went ashore on Pitcairn in January 1790.
The squarely laid-out inner city with about 1.1 million inhabitants is similar to that of Melbourne and Christchurch (New Zealand). It has been planned from the outset as a business district. Adelaide is held in strict architecture and is surrounded by the leisurely flowing Torrens River. A few years ago Adelaide was rather dull and puritanical. With the arrival of the artists scene in North Adelaide, this picture has however changed fundamentally and Adelaide is getting increasingly cosmopolitan.
The suburb Glenelg comes very close to the English models. Old residential houses, snug inns and many restaurants characterize this place. The beaches are from Marino to Osborn invite for a swim. The beach at Glenelg is just one part of the many kilometer-long beach. Maslin Beach is one of the most beautiful and cleanest beaches in the country. The beautiful countryside is reminiscent of a lunar landscape. On the one side the sea and on the other a jagged rock landscape. Another plus is an attractive hinterland, for example, the forested low mountain range of the Adelaide Hills and the Mount Lofty Range.
The 120 km long and 30 km wide Adelaide Island lies off the west coast of the Antarctic Peninsula, on the northern edge of Marguerite Bay. It was discovered in 1832 by the British naval officer and Arctic explorer John Biscoe. Explored in more detail and (by Jean-Baptiste Charcot) Adelaide Island was mapped out only in the context of the French Antarctic Expedition that took place between 1908 to 1910. The now well-known British Rothera research station was built in the years 1976-77. In 2001 the laboratory burned off completely after a short circuit  and was newly reconstructted  until 2003.
The port city of Aden, with its 550,744 inhabitants, is located in the southern part of Yemen, which belongs to the poorest region of the Arab world. Through their location at the very tip of the Arabian Peninsula developed the second largest city of Yemen has already evolved in the Middle Ages as an important trading center between the Mediterranean and the Indian Ocean and experienced after the opening of the Suez Canal a further upswing.
As early as the 5th century BC  the excellent natural harbor, named after the biblical book of Ezekiel made Eden a significant hub for long-distance trade. Today Aden has become a popular sea port for cruises.
The little island Aaeroemir with approximately 7,200 residents is only 28 kilometres long and 8 kilometres wide. The island is located on the southerly entrance of the "little belt" and surrounded by Funen in the north, Langeland in the east, Schleswig-Holstein in the south and Alsen in the west and counts towards one of the most beautiful islands which the south Finish islands sea has to offer. Aeroe is the only one of the great Danish Baltic Sea - islands, which is not connected with the outside world through one bridge. As a consequence there is no transit traffic and the road traffic is kept within a limit.
Aeroe has excellent tourist facilities.
Ærøskøbing is considered the most picturesque town on the island and beyond that as one of the most beautiful towns in Denmark. The city itself has about 1,000 inhabitants, is a listed building and received in 2002 Europa Nostra Award.
Ærøskøbing is a city from the early Middle Ages. It recently celebrated its 750th anniversary, a port city with tradition.
Many of the houses from the 17th and 18th centuries are national monuments, Ærøskøbing is probably the city's best preserved Denmark from this time.
The old harbor has been extended to a marina and the beach »Vesterstrand" with its little colored bath houses is located just a few minutes walk from town and harbor.
Agadir is a city of contrasts, a port city, wherefrom citrus fruit, bananas, tomatoes and roses are exported to Europe, a city with about 300,000 inhabitants. Next to the fishing port are the wooden boats of fishermen. Coveted catch are squids - calamaris are missing from hardly a menu in the restaurants of Agadir.
Almost ten kilometers long  is the beach,
Guam (also Guahan) is an island in the South Pacific Ocean and is a territory not incorporated within American Oceania. The capital is Hagåtña, also known as Agana. The population of the entire island is about 155,000, 1300 of which live in Agana.
Agatti is a small island of just 2.7 sq. km. in the Indian Ocean. It belongs to the group of the Lakshadeep Islands, a group of tiny coral islands. Amid heavenly nature the visitor there  a wide watersports offer is available for the visitor.
The Aghiyuk Island is the largest of the Semidi Islands, which in turn belong to the Kodak archipelago and thus to the American state of Alaska. The island is uninhabited and is located in a conservation area, the Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge.
Agia Anna is a village located on the Greek Cycladic island of Naxos. Since prehistoric times, the island has always been inhabited. According to legend, the mythological hero Theseus had once left behind here on Naxos the Cretan princess Ariadne after his victory over the Minotaur.
With 8,000 residents, Agios Nikolaos is the capital of the Lasithi-Area. There are many tourists in summer.
Agra with its 1,350 residents  is located at the shore of the river Yamuna in the west of the federal state Uttar Pradesh. The old part of the city is located in the north with the market place, the modern part is in the south, with the glamorous mausoleum Taj Mahal. Agra has a great fort and many other monuments from the Mughal Era. From 1526 until 1658, the city Agra was the capital of the Mogul-Empire. Still excisting from this time is the castle-fortress of emperor Akbar (the "Red Fort") with the palace of Sah Japan and the Pearl Mosque.
The city of Agropoli is a town of the Italian province of Salerno in the Campania region, which has about 20,200 residents. It lies in the National Park "Parco Nazionale del Cilento". Near the town is the beautiful sandy beach "Trentova". From Agropoli  boat trips to Positano, Capri and Naples are also possible. As the name of the town suggests, its origin goes back to a Greek establishment from the 7th century BC. Derived is "Agropoli" from the Greek word "Acropolis" which means "high city". Originally somewhat below the present castle there was a temple dedicated to either Artemis or Poseidon. In the late 9th century Agropoli fell for about 200 years in the hands of the Saracens, who expanded the fortifications and took advantage of this strategic place for their raids. Since the 19th century, the city around the hills has expanded considerably. Agropoli lives not only by tourism and for tourism and preserves even out of season its typical charm.
High up in the majestic Peruvian Andes lies the small town of Aguas Calientes. Thermal springs very near it gave the town its name.
Surrounded by breathtaking cliffs and mysterious cloud forests Aguas Calientes today is also the ideal starting point for a trip to Machu Picchu.
The city is located on the Mediterranean, in the south-east of Spain. In the background, there is a mountain-range, which forms a cliffy, bumpy landscape. The city is located at the foot of the castle "San Juan de las Aguilas", being used by Greeks, Romans and Arabians with its beautiful harbours, the beach promenades and the peaceful magic of its bays in the east and west, as well as wonderful lonely beaches. With its modern, nicely designed cityscape, Aguilas is located on the millenarian ground of the historical town Urci. It owes its present appearance to  planning and design of the architect Carlos III in the 18th century.
Ahsen with its approximately 2,000 inhabitants, is since 1975 a district of the city of Datteln, in the northern Ruhr area. Datteln lies today at four different channels and can thus boast of being the largest canal hub of the world.
In the center of "Petite Camargue" rises the fortified city-wall of Aigues-Mortes. The seaport is located between flat saltlakes, not far from the coast of the Mediterranean and belongs to the most important "Bastides" in France. Found in 1240 by Ludwig IX. as meeting place and port of the crusader-army, Aigues Mortes became starting point for crusades. The almost rectangular city system with collateral street of houses, has been built with a defence wall, 20 towers and 11 town gates in a few years. The bulky city wall, which belongs to the most beautiful ones of the history, documents about the military sigificance of the city. Aigues-Mortes has an exceptionally good location. Only a few kilometres away from the cities Nîmes and Montpellier and only 6 kilometres away from the Mediterranean. When the port silted up and eventually dried up, also the wealth of the city melt away. Today, the village is located 5 kilometres away from the ocean and the population shrunk to one-third of the existing one time to 5000 inhabitants.
The village Ain Soukhna is located by the red Sea approx. 140 kilometres away from Cairo. The beautiful, flat sloping sandy beaches invite for bathing. After a visit of Cairo, this is a nice place for relaxation.
The Ainsworth Bay is located on the Chilean Almirantazgo Fjord, south of the country. Here is the 40-meter-high Marinelli Glacier.
Airlie Beach with its 2,800 inhabitants, located in the federal state of Queensland, is a popular tourist destination on the east coast of Australia. Near the Whitsunday Islands and the diving paradise of the Great Barrier Reef area, the town attracts people also due to its pleasant and yet tropical climates from around the world.
Aitcho Island is a small island, whose name is derived from the letters H.O.,an abbreviation for British Hydrografic Office. At first sight, Aitcho Island seems to be a typical brood colony for penguins. On its shore  there are leopard seals lingering around, which wait for a "penguin-meal". The enormous sea-elephants lie side by side, to keep one another warm.
With about 1,800 residents, Aitutaki is the 2nd largest populated island of the Cook islands, after Rarotonga. It is located around 230 kilometres northerly of the main island Rarotonga and has an acreage of 18 sqkm. Aitutaki is made up of a volcanic island with a flat corall atoll and palm overgrown, white beaches.
Among the many Mediterranean islands, Corsica is probably the most original. Ajaccio, the capital of the island on the same-named golf couse owes its existence to the port. The city with 60,000 residents was already founded by the Romans, but experienced another boom through occupying forces from Genoa. Ajacco features many beautiful sandy beaches and offers various activities for water sportsmen (diving, sailing).
The beautiful Banks Peninsula joins the lowlands of Canterbury. The untouched nature offers a variety of nature life, mountains and impressing coastal landscapes. The city Akaroa with its 1000 residents is an idyllic resort, which is located 84 kilometeres off Christchurch on the southern coast of the Bank Peninsula. Literally translated, Akaroa means "long harbour". It emerged from an extinct volcano, in which the ocean regorged, after the land has shortened. Originally, James Cook, who found Bank Peninsula in 1769, thought it was an island. 1777 he called it "Bank Island", after the botanist Joseph Banks, who accompanied him on his first journey. Once, many Maoris used to live on the peninsula, but where at war with one another and almost wiped themselves out. That would explain, why the Maori accepted the english and french after arrival of the european whalers as helper and later as government. In 1835, french whaler found Akaroa and bought parts of the land from the Maoris. The Maori-and Colonial museum in the Okains Bay provides an insight into an eventful history of the peninsula. When the first ship with french and german settlers arrived in 1840, the english already took possession of the city. But still, the settlers were accepted and could build up a french colony. It was and is the only french settlement in New Zealand. The oldest settler-house of the region can be found next to the Early-settler museum in the Rue Lavaud. Nowadays, Akaroa attracts many tourists due to its various leisure facilities in a beautiful landscape.
Aken on the Elbe is located 13 kilometres westerly of Dessau. In 1889, Franz Weißenborn, the director of the Harbour and Lagerhaus AG,Franz Weißenborn from Wimar signed a contract with the magistrate of the city of Aken, to have the right of use of an area for the building of a harbour. The construction of a traffic port was of an enormous, economical significance for the city. The economical upturn was increased through the building of the railway junction Aken - Köthen in 1890. Nowadays, in the harbour of Aken, bulk freight as well as heavy cargo and containers are loaded and unloaded. In connection with the navigation, the harbour of Aken became a capable inner harbour and centre for logistics.
Akita features a seaport, which is also used for the trade with Russia. Here also wood from the hinterland is transported by ship, while Russia brings fish to Akita. Akita is located in the north of the island Honshu with the japanese ocean in the west. Beautiful sunsets can be viewed from there. The distance to Tokyo is 500 km. The prefecture-capital Akita is with 314,000 residents the second largest city of the Tohoku-area. It is famous for its quality rice and delicious rice wine. A quarter of the population of the prefecture lives in Akita today. More than 1200 yearso ago, the castle Akita was built as northern stronghold of Japan. In 1602, Yoshinobu Satake was assigned the castle lord of Mito, Akita as a fief. In April 1889, the city of Akita was founded. Through the incorporation of surrounding cities and villages, the city has today an area of just 460 square kilometers.
The island Akpatok provides breeding areas for thousands of sea birds, such as sea swallows and seagulls. Akpatol Island is a traditional hunting area of the Inuit.
Of significance in the harbour of Akureyri are the shipyard, the export port and the fish industry. The Eyja-fiord has a length of 90 kilometres. Akureyri is transfer- and cultural centre of the north.
The Aleutian Islands are a very mysterious island chain at the edge of the world. The city Akutan on the same-named eastern Aleutian Island was founded in 1878 as a fur storage and trading port for the Western Fur & Trading Company. Between 1912 and 1942 Akutan was whaling station in the Aleutians. Commercial fishing and the processing of fish dominate the Akutans economy.
Ships and amphibious aircraft are the only means of transportation to Akutan. Cargo is delivered weekly by cargo ships from Seattle.
In winter there are frequent storms and in summer fog is not uncommon.
The United Arabian Emirates are a federation of the seven sheikdoms Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Ash Shariqah (Sharjah), Ajman, Umm al Qaywayn, Ra´s al Khaymah and Al Fujayrah. The emirate Fudschaira, the arabic synonym of Al-Fujayrah, is ruled by sheik Hamad ibn Muhammad asch-Schargie. It consists of two main areas, which are with 1.200 km²  half as large as the Saarland  and is located on the east coast on the Gulf of Oman. The population is about 76,000.
The desert-city Al Khums has got 149,642 residents and is popular as meeting point of the bedouins. More famous and interesting is Leptis Magna, which is located 5 kilometres off Al Khums. It is one of the most important relicts of the past. Leptis Magna is a city with approx. 100,000 citizens and was built by the Romans. Leptis offers unimagined, detailed views into the Roman past. Well preserved are the colosseum and the theatre, the basilica and the thermal springs. The residents of Leptis Magna used to live very comfortable, not only because of the running water and developed canalization, but also due to a modern infrastructure and an excellent food supply. The veterans of the Roman empire managed the hinterland of Leptis and grew there mainly grain and olive groves. This is the reason, why Lybia was supposed to be the granary of the Roman empire.
Al-Mukalla is the capital of the provence Hadramout and the most important Yemeni seaport eastof Aden. The "doorway to Hadramout" was found as a fishing village in 1035 and today, is the 5th largest city of the Yemen, with 122,400 residents. The harbour is an important hub for the transfer of goods inland.
Al-Qusair is an Egyptian city with a population of 50,000, located by the Red Sea. The city, whose name translates as "little castle" looks back to more than 5,000 years of exciting history.
The city Alanya, in the meantime with 75,000 residents is located on a small peninsula. In the north, the Taurus Mountains are located and in the south, the Mediterranean Sea. Rustical idyll as well as party mile, long sandy beaches and icecold mountain rivers, very old ruins and modern hotels. Kilometer- long beaches and wild, uspoilt hinterland. Here Orient and Occident meet in a confined space. The harbour quarter attracts with lovely offers which are colourfully offered. Traditional silver jewellery, camel- and donkey bags in traditional kilim technique can be seen as well as fashionable textile- and leather goods. The bazaar of Alanya is a true shopping paradise and probably one of the largest contiguous bazaars  on the south coast. Sold here - like everywhere in Turkey - is basically clothing of different quality, leather goods (bags and clothing), silver- and gold jewellery. During daytime, you have the possibility, to relax at the great sandy beaches or explore the interesting environment. On nice summer evenings you can stroll along the streets.Also for a shopping spree until late at night there are still enough opportunities for the shops in the tourist districts usually have long business hours.
With 30,000 residents, Albany is one of the larger cities of western Australia. It is located in the south polar sea 408 kilometres off Perth, approx. 53 kilometres off Denmark and features a natural port. The beautiful sandy beaches are framed with billions of years-old granite stone. The first settlers came to Albany in 1826, two years before Perth was colonised. Today, the city is a famous holiday resort for all western Australia. Near Albany the natural spectacles Natural Bridge and The Gap can be seen.
Albreda is a town with 1,800 inhabitants, located in the west African Gambia. The town was founded on the banks of the Gambia River, supposedly, in the 16th or 17th century by a marabout named Musa Gave from the African nation of Wolof. During the colonial period Albreda has long been a bone of contention between the British and the French and changed several times its colonial origin. The city also gained in these years notoriety as one of the main hubs of slave trade.
Alcoutim is a little city in Portugal with approx. 2,000 residents. It is assumed, that the name Alcoutim derives from the Roman name "Alcoutinium" as this region was called during the time of Roman occupation. The village has a quiet charme.
The 19,000-resident community Alcudia lies on the north east coast of Mallorca, around 54 km from the capital Palma. The main town of the community is the same-named Alcúdia, located between the coves Badia de Pollenca and Badia d'Alcudia. Its name derives from the Arabic word, Al-Qudya ', which literally means the hill' and refers to the saddle between the two bays and which is located in the historical center of Alcudia.
Aldabra is the largest atoll of the world and lies in the Indian Ocean. Politically it belongs to the Seychelles and counts to the Outer Islands. It is under strict protection and thus could keep its original flora and fauna. Because of this reason the atoll is a world heritage site since 1982. Aldabra is, except by few people, unhabited. The Aldabra atoll consists of four main islands, Picard, Polymnie, Malabar and Grand Terre and has a length of 34 kilometres and a width of 14,5 kilometres with a land area of 155 km². Only on the smaller island Assumption, accommodation is offered.
Alderney is the northernmost of the Channel Islands, a group of islands in the English Channel, located off the French coast. As crown dependency they are not really part of the United Kingdom, but report directly to the British crown. Only in the 19th century did the British government  bring back Alderney from its isolated existence, when deciding to build there big forts and a harbor to protect against possible French attacks.
Aleppo is a port city in northern Syria with its 1.7 million inhabitants. Already in the 19th century before Christ this very strategically city was mentioned for the first time in writing. Aleppo was awarded in 2006 as first the newly introduced title a "cultural capital of Islam". The place is also known for its famous olive and laurel oil soap, the so-called "Aleppo soap", which has been produced here since the early Middle Ages.
Alert Bay is a Canadian town located on Cormorant Island, off the north coast of the well-known Vancouver Island. About half of the approximately 600 inhabitants is part of one of the ethnic groups of the so-called ' First Nations' ,Canada's indigenous peoples, on whose original territory the town is located.
Alesund is the pier of the Hurtigruten. In summer, the ships heading north, stop twice. Alesund was built on three rock islands. There, you meet for the first time the skerry and fjord landscape. The Aksla Mountain reveals an unforgettable view onto the city, the off-shore islands and the Sunnmöre Mountains.